Effective April 16, 2015, water heater manufacturers must comply with new Department of Energy (DOE) efficiency standards. The most common water heaters manufactured on and after this date get a modest boost in efficiency, while units over 55 gallons shift to next—generation technology, cutting utility bills by one-fourth to one–half depending on the technology. New water heaters are larger than their predecessors which can require altering their placement location in order to fit. It is now more important than ever to consult with a professional before replacing your water heater.
Completed by DOE in 2010, the standards cover gas, oil and electric residential tank water heaters, usually between 20 and 80 galons. (DOE also upped the efficiency levels for instantaneous–tankless–gas water heaters, but most models already meet the new efficiency levels.) Water heating is on average the second largest household energy expense behind space heating, representing about 18% of total household energy consumption.
For storage water heaters with volumes of 55 gallons and below, the new standards will increase the efficiency of typical–sized units by 4% on average. Manufacturers plan to meet the efficiency levels with incremental improvements such as improved heat exchangers (gas) and more insulation. Water heaters that comply with the new standards are already on the market, including models from A.O. Smith.
When it comes to high efficiency water heaters, no one comes close to matching the expertise and innovation of A. O. Smith. Whether you need a gas, an electric, or even a solar panel water heater, the inventive minds at A. O. Smith have one already waiting for you. With higher efficiency ratings and groundbreaking designs, these models are part of an exciting new era in water heating. Welcome to the high efficiency revolution.
What separates A.J. Michaels from our competitors?
- We install top of the line A. O. Smith water heaters made in Tennessee, not a foreign country.
- We purchase through local distributors, supporting our local economy.
- We offer the best guarantee in the business.
- There is no extra charge for weekend or evening service.
- Our price includes everything; new flue pipe, drain pan, and expansion tank.
- We only charge extra if we need to correct an existing code/safety violation.
- We offer 90 days same as cash or a low monthly payment plan.
- We offer leasing for commercial installations.
- Add it all up and you'll see that we offer the best service, equipment and pricing in the business.